It’s too late to post this in some parts of the world but I still have three hours. And my sister, who is in labor, has six hours to make sure her baby is not something to beware on the Ides of March.
[Nerd family, what.]
IN CELEBRATION OF PI DAY, with the encouragement of SuperBetter to adhere to my nutrition goals, I decided to make a…wait, this story needs to be retold properly.
Quoth my father, “Oh no, I think I may have doubled the butter. I may need to make two pie crusts. That means I have to make two pies. Damn.”
Quoth my me, “…I hate you, I wish I could have pie. Maybe I could make a veg…*gaaaaaaaasp* SPINACH PIE!”
Quoth my father, “Spinach pie!”
Quoth my me, “Spiiiiiiinach Piiiiiiiieeeeeeeeeee!”
Be jealous, natch. Inspired by this recipe.
- 1 10oz package of frozen spinach, thawed, moisture squeezed out
- 1 cup fat-free cottage cheese
- 3 egg whites
- 4 tablespoons shredded parmesan cheese
- 1 cross-section of one small Spanish onion, diced
- 1 clove of garlic, minced
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Mix all ingredients together in a bowl.
- Grease pie pan (I swished extra virgin olive oil around with a napkin).
- Pour spinach mixture into pan and smush flat with spoon.
- Spread more parmesan cheese on top.
- Bake for 45-50 minutes (cheese should be browning).
- Set pie on cooling rack.
- Wait two minutes. Slice into quarters.
- Chow down.
Based upon the original recipe, I estimate this to be about 90 calories per slice. 90 CALORIES PER SLICE. Not a single recognizable carb in the mix! TONS of fiber, lots of vitamins, bunches of protein, incredible flavor. I don’t even like cottage cheese!
[Okay, so now she has five hours and 20 minutes…c’mon, Kate.]